03 Jan Interesting New Facts On Pets In The United States
1. A cat’s meow is not a means of communication between its own kind. It is exclusively used to communicate with their human owner. They are extremely good at modulating their vocals depending on the requirement of the situation. For example, the morning feeding call is longer and more powerful whereas the adoption call at a shelter is shorter and less powerful.
2. Goldfishes are known to have short life-spans but if looked after well enough they are capable of living for as long as 30 years in captivity. The record age of a goldfish in captivity is 43.
3. As per the records of the Humane Society of the United States, Parrots are the fourth amongst the nation’s most popular pets. This is a result declared as per a survey conducted in the year 2012 by the American Veterinary Medical Association.
4. Many pet dogs have a condition called the ” Frito Feet.” This condition is caused due to the presence of yeast or Proteus Bacteria on a pups feet. This creates a sweet and corn tortilla like smell. In some cases wherein the bacteria is Pseudomonas it even smells fruity.
5. A survey taken showed that eighty-one percent of the cat owners permit their cats to sleep on their beds. However, only seventy-three percent of dog owners allow they dogs on to the bed.
6. One of the most popular turtle species in the pet department of the USA is the red-eared slider. These turtles are capable of growing a foot long and also live up to 20 years.
7. The most popular pet species of Hamsters are Syrian, Dwarf Winter White Russian, Chinese, Dwarf Campbells Russian, and Roborovski. Hamsters have cheek pouches that extend down to their hips.
8. Almost 80 million U.S households have pets, and 42 percent of these households have more than just one pet. As per the 2015-2016 survey done by the APPA, the United States of America has 85.8 million pet cats and 77.8 million pet dogs that are accounted for in the registers of the APPA.
9. As per information from the American Pet Products Association (APPA), people who own pets in the United States spent over a $60.28 billion on maintenance and care of their furry friends. This information is as per the data collected in the year 2015. A further rise of $2 billion in 2016 was also predicted from the survey results.
10. In the United States, pet owners look after their pets very lavishly and almost as if it were their own flesh and blood. Therefore over Forty-five percent of pet owners admit to occasionally buying their pets presents of all kinds.